Hello Readers!

My name is Tory and I quit smoking February 3, 2010. Follow along as I pen my journey of quitting. I still live with a smoker, and have been told that it is extra tough, but I've made it this far. I am excited to share my journey and angst quitting smoking with you.

Enjoy!

Quit Smoking Meter


QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Welcome to March Madness!

Day 27
Cigarettes Today (or since my last post): 0
Chantix Side Effects (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst): 0
Mood: Anxious Mess
Cigarettes NOT Smoked Since Quit Date: 540
Hours Not Spent Smoking: 45

I've gained almost two whole days worth of waking time within the last four weeks of not smoking. That's incredible. Can you imagine? Almost. Two. Whole. Days. I am really proud of myself for taking this on and I keep reminding myself that there is no good time to quit smoking.

What is not incredible is that my life feels utterly stressful and anxiety-ridden within the last couple of days. It's all petty and will pass, like it always does, but I'm realizing that I might be more of a perfectionist than I thought.

Being a smoker helped the perfectionist inside me. Being a smoker in-and-of-itself means that I am not perfect, that I have succumbed to an addiction. If ever I felt not perfect, I would reach for a cigarette and feel better. If something didn't go the way I wanted I would have a cigarette and laugh about it. Now, I must say that when things aren't going the way I planned I am reacting with emotions that are less than perfect to say the least. I am being really hard on myself, but it's hard for me to let go of the ideal I have in my head.

Emotions that I have experienced in the last few days that would have normally caused me to light up include: sadness, annoyance, frustration, stress, impatience and I could go on. These emotions are so ugly. I've thought multiple times in the last few days that I liked myself better as a smoker. I was still a type A personality, but a little more easy going.

But FEAR NOT! I am determined to quit this time. I just have to take things one day at a time!

What I did today instead of smoking:
  1. Asked for help and got it.
  2. Admitted I was wrong.
  3. Took lots of deep breaths.
  4. Listened.
  5. Talked with my sis.
  6. Thought about the future and what my life will look like next month after things settle down... :-)
P.S. The last few times I quit, I gained 15 pounds or so. I am happy to report that I have not gone up a size yet! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment