Hello Readers!

My name is Tory and I quit smoking February 3, 2010. Follow along as I pen my journey of quitting. I still live with a smoker, and have been told that it is extra tough, but I've made it this far. I am excited to share my journey and angst quitting smoking with you.

Enjoy!

Quit Smoking Meter


QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 79

Tonight was my first "night out" with five other smokers.  Needless to say, I survived.  I still miss smoking, but I. did. it.

I am proud.  I have a Nicotine Anonymous Book - 90 Days, 90 Ways.  Today is day 79 of my recovery from nicotine and so I turned to that page to share with you.  Tomorrow will be 80 days.  I am so proud of myself.  It's still just one day at a time and I like it that way.

From the book, 90 Days, 90 Ways:

Show up, pay attention, tell the truth and don't be attached to the outcome. - Angeles Arrien

As the winter solstice approaches and the days become shorter, I am reminded of the darkness that seemed to grip me with increasing strength in the final days of my active addiction: the social ostracism; the fear, anxiety and worry over the harm I was causing myself physically; the utter hopelessness I felt about ever being able to quit.

I feared living without my constant companion.  I anticipated that life without nicotine would be impossible.  But the solstice teaches me that this projection was unwarranted.  Just it seems that darkness will never end, there comes a turning point when the days become longer and warmer.  Just as I anticipated that life would be unbearable without nicotine, recovery teaches me that life can be filled with so much goodness, beyond my wilder dreams.

Today I choose to live in anticipation that light inevitably follows darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment